This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
In this article we're going to look at the acre - a unit of area commonly used for measuring tracts of land. Did you know that during the Middle Ages, an acre was defined as the amount of land ploughable in one day by one man and an ox? Not very specific, then - especially if your ox is feeling part...
Research suggests that the number of walking steps in a mile for a person of average height and weight is between 2,000 and 2,500 steps. That figure decreases to between 1,400 and 1,700 steps per mile when running, due to the increase in stride length...
We all possess points of cultural pride: the UK has castles, afternoon tea and the Jeremy Kyle Show (until recently); the USA has the Grand Canyon, the Empire State Building and milk-chugging. So while Brits struggle to keep their food down as they watch toothless families brawling over secret affai...
When planning for a future purchase and devising a strategy for saving towards a goal, it can be tricky to work out how long it will take to achieve it.Perhaps you're saving for a dream holiday and want to be able to envisage laying on your sun lounger, sipping cocktails...
If you're looking for a guide to how many cups there are in a pound of all-purpose flour, bread flour, cake flour, pastry flour or whole-wheat flour, look no further. Note that your measurement will depend upon the type of flour you're using because of the varying densities of different flour types...
How Many Cups in One Pound of Sugar?
If you're wondering how many cups there are in a pound of granulated sugar, brown sugar or powdered sugar, we've got you covered. 1 pound of granulated sugar contains around 2 ¼ cups. 1 pound of brown sugar (light or dark) contains approximately 2 ⅓ cups when firmly packed...
BMI Formula - How To Use The BMI Formula
The BMI formula uses your weight (in kg or pounds) and your height (in meters or inches) to form a simple calculation that provides a measure of your body fat. The formula for BMI was devised in the 1830s by Belgian mathematician Adolphe Quetelet. BMI is universally expressed in kg/m2...
How Many Grams Of Sugar Are In a Teaspoon?
Mary Poppins once famously claimed that, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down", but given that the children in her care were subsequently treated for multiple cavities and type 2 diabetes*, could she have made an error in her calculations? Don't find yourself in the same situation, defend...
PEMDAS Explained - How Does PEMDAS Work?
PEMDAS is a mnemonic acronym for the order of operations in math: parentheses; exponents; multiply or divide; add or subtract. When there are several operations in a single expression, it's important to calculate them in the proper order (parenthesis first, exponents second.....
How Many Cubic Feet Are In a Yard?
Are you wondering how to measure a cubic yard or how many cubic feet there are in a yard? Wonder no longer, here's what you need to know...1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feetExplanation and diagramsA foot is 12 inches long, making it exactly a third of a yard...
Other featured articles
- Profit Margin Formula - Explained
- BODMAS Explained - Order Of Mathematical Operations
- How Many Beers Are In a Keg?
- How To Measure Your Waist
- How To Measure Your Hips
- Airline Baggage Weight - Why Does It Matter?
- How Many Feet Are In a Mile?
- BMR Formula (Basal Metabolic Rate)
- How Many Tablespoons Are In a Cup?
- The Misrepresentation Of Sugar Intake In The Media
- LED Light Bulbs - Why Should You Switch?
- How To Calculate WHR (Waist-to-Hip Ratio)
- Meters And Metres - What's With The Spelling?
- How Many Feet Are In a Meter/Metre?
- Cooking Weights And Measures Guide
- Future Value Formula And Calculator
- How Many Days Since...?
- How Many Weeks Are In a Year?
- How Many Grams Are In a Cup?
- How Much Is a TRILLION?
- Tablespoons and Cup Sizes Around The World
- How Much Is a BILLION?
- How To Calculate Your BMR
- How To Convert a Decimal To a Fraction
- What Is Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)?
- How To Measure For a New Floor
- How To Add, Subtract, Multiply And Divide Fractions
- How To Calculate Cubic Feet
- Should You Pay In Local Currency Or Home Currency When Abroad?
- Is a Kilobyte 1000 Or 1024 Bytes?
- The gambler's fallacy - explained
- How long is a light-year?
- How fast is the speed of light?
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How To Convert mg To ml (Milligrams to Milliliters)
- How big is a hectare?
- What Is Compound Interest? Definition And Examples
- All about roman numerals
- Interesting and amazing maths facts
- What Is Body Mass Index? How Is BMI Calculated?
- Fahrenheit To Celsius Formula, Charts and Conversion
- Counting the cost of debt - where has the money gone?
- Calculating international debt
- How to convert kilometers to miles (and back again)
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- A brief history of loans
- Compound Interest Formula - Explained
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- The History Of The Calculator
- The Best iPhone and iPad Apps That Make You Money
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the difference between nominal, effective and APR interest rates?
- What is the difference between speed and velocity?
- What Is The Difference Between Mass And Weight?
- Balloon Payments: Definition and Benefits
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- How To Work Out Cubic Conversions
- Money Making Apps For Your Android Smartphone
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.