This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
Typically, adults walk at a speed of 3 to 4 miles per hour, and therefore walk a mile in around 15 to 20 minutes. Some people will be faster or slower than this, and walking speed can even be influenced by age and gender, as well as fitness level.Can you calculate walking speed?When you're planning...
A ton (t) is a unit of mass (i.e. weight) equivalent to 2000 pounds, or 910kg. It differs from the 'tonne', which weighs 1000kg. Both the short ton and long ton are equivalent to 20 hundredweight, but with the hundredweight defined differently under each system...
Financial Independence, Retire Early — or FIRE for short — is a financial plan followed by a growing number of committed savers. By putting aside the majority of their annual income, hardcore FIRE fans reject the typical pathway of working into old age...
Do you have a fully charged cell phone, some sturdy walking shoes and a really big bottle of water? Great. You'll be home in a mere matter of months, though exactly how long it takes to walk around the world will depend on a couple of factors...In which direction are you walking around the world?T...
Whether you're paying interest on a debt or earning interest on savings and investments, the nominal interest rate is the figure used before considering inflation. Nominal interest rates are the ones advertised on financial products, but once they are adjusted for inflation, these can go up or down ...
How Much Does a Gallon of Water Weigh?
One US gallon of water weighs around 8.33 pounds or 3.78 kilograms at room temperature. The precise weight of water varies according to its level of density, which in turn depends on its storage temperature.You can learn more about the weight of water - and try out our water weight calculator and re...
How Many Cubic Feet is my Refrigerator?
Measuring the space inside your refrigerator might not be your first choice of activity for a Saturday afternoon, but it has its purposes.Perhaps you're planning to buy a week of meal-prep kits described as fitting in an 18 cubic foot fridge, or you're moving house and need to check that your fridge...
How to Calculate Net Income (With Examples)
Net income, also called net profit, is calculated by deducting an organisation's total expenses from their total revenue. It's basically the spare money left over at the end of a financial year, and a business might use it to invest, expand, save, or give out to shareholders...
Density Formula - How To Calculate Density
If you've ever been fooled by the old question, 'Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?' then you wouldn't be alone. Although the feathers and the lead both weigh exactly the same (um, a pound), their density is wildly different, and we can sometimes mentally conflate weight and ...
How Many Steps Are In a Mile?
Research suggests that the number of walking steps in a mile for a person of average height and weight is between 2,000 and 2,500 steps. That figure decreases to between 1,400 and 1,700 steps per mile when running, due to the increase in stride length...
Other featured articles
- Weights and Measures - a Poem
- How to Calculate Percentages
- Why I've Chosen Ezoic as a Partner
- How Many Meters Are in a Mile?
- How Big Is A Hectare?
- PEMDAS Explained - How Does PEMDAS Work?
- How Big Is An Acre? Explained
- US Gallons And Imperial Gallons - Why Are They Different?
- How Long Will It Take To Save? (Includes Calculator)
- How Many Cups in One Pound of Flour?
- How Many Cups in One Pound of Sugar?
- BMI Formula - How To Use The BMI Formula
- How Many Grams Of Sugar Are In a Teaspoon?
- Compound Interest Formula With Examples
- How Many Cubic Feet Are In a Yard?
- Profit Margin Formula - Explained
- BODMAS Explained - Order Of Mathematical Operations
- How to Convert Kilometers to Miles and Miles to Kilometers
- How Many Beers Are In a Keg?
- How To Measure Your Waist
- How To Measure Your Hips
- Airline Baggage Weight - Why Does It Matter?
- How Many Feet Are In a Mile?
- BMR Formula (Basal Metabolic Rate)
- How Many Tablespoons Are In a Cup?
- The Misrepresentation Of Sugar Intake In The Media
- LED Light Bulbs - Why Should You Switch?
- How To Calculate WHR (Waist-to-Hip Ratio)
- Balloon Payments: Definition and Benefits
- Meters And Metres - What's With The Spelling?
- How Many Feet Are In a Meter/Metre?
- Cooking Weights And Measures Guide
- Future Value Formula And Calculator
- How Many Days Since...?
- How Many Weeks Are In a Year?
- How Many Grams Are In a Cup?
- How Much Is a TRILLION?
- Tablespoons and Cup Sizes Around The World
- How Much is a BILLION?
- How To Calculate Your BMR
- How To Convert a Decimal To a Fraction
- What Is Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)?
- How To Measure For a New Floor
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
- How To Add, Subtract, Multiply And Divide Fractions
- How To Calculate Cubic Feet
- Should You Pay In Local Currency Or Home Currency When Abroad?
- Is a Kilobyte 1000 Or 1024 Bytes?
- The Gambler's Fallacy - Explained
- How long is a light-year?
- How fast is the speed of light?
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How to Convert mg to ml (Milligrams to Milliliters)
- What Is Compound Interest? Definition And Examples
- All about roman numerals
- Interesting and Amazing Math Facts
- What Is Body Mass Index? How Is BMI Calculated?
- Fahrenheit To Celsius Formula, Charts and Conversion
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- A brief history of loans
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- The History Of The Calculator
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the Difference Between Speed and Velocity?
- What Is The Difference Between Mass And Weight?
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.