This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
The chances are you've arrived at this page trying to do some research for an upcoming party, wedding or other event that's going to involve a lot of people. In which case, you're likely to be wondering how many kegs you need to order to satisfy your crowd of beer-thirsty compadres...
Whether you're ordering clothes online, monitoring your weight, or designing a bespoke bucket chair for your space-shuttle to the moon (look, the world is on fire; it's OK to have a plan B), you need to be able to measure your body accurately. Here's how to get the digits for your waist...
In a previous article we covered how to measure your waist and discussed how useful it is to know your waist size. Similarly, hip measurements can be really useful for fitting clothes, monitoring weight changes and assessing WHR (waist-to-hip ratio). So, let's take a look at the process for meas...
This one started with one of those email forwards derived from someone's flippant Facebook or Twitter posting. It featured a photo like the one above and a caption that (stripping out the swear words) read:"This p...
In our latest article we're going to address the question of how many feet there are in a mile. Albert Einstein was once asked how many feet there are in a mile. His reply was "I don't know, why should I fill my brain with facts I can find in two minutes in any standard reference book?" These days, ...
BMR Formula (Basal Metabolic Rate)
Before we look at the formulae for BMR, let's quickly explain what BMR is. BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate and represents your daily energy expenditure if your body is at rest all day. Look upon it as the minimum number of calories your body needs in order to function for 24 hours...
US Gallons And Imperial Gallons - Why Are They Different?
We all possess points of cultural pride: the UK has castles, afternoon tea and the Jeremy Kyle Show; the USA has the Grand Canyon, the Empire State Building and milk-chugging. So while Brits struggle to keep their food down as they watch toothless families brawling over secret affairs and stolen mop...
How Many Tablespoons Are In a Cup?
Today we turn our attention to cooking measurements and, specifically, this question from Kelly: "I'm baking a cake using a recipe and would like to know how many tablespoons there are in a cup? Before we begin, it's worth noting that usage of the cup in modern recipes is mostly confined to the Unit...
The Misrepresentation Of Teaspoons Of Sugar In The Media
In a previous article, we looked at how many grams of sugar there are in a teaspoon. I was recently contacted by food scientist Malcolm Reeves and we discussed how teaspoons of sugar are commonly misrepresented in the media.There has been an abundance of sugar infographics on health websites, e...
LED Light Bulbs - Why Should You Switch?
The 21st century: what a time to be alive! Home cinemas, cheap air travel and drive-thru burger joints have blessed the lives of many, while simultaneously giving the planet a bit of a kicking. So, what to do? What if you want to enjoy the pleasures of modern life without having to lie awake at nigh...
Other featured articles
- How To Calculate WHR (Waist-to-Hip Ratio)
- Meters And Metres - What's With The Spelling?
- How Many Feet Are In a Meter/Metre?
- Cooking Weights And Measures Guide
- Future Value Formula And Calculator
- How Many Days Since...?
- How Many Weeks Are In a Year?
- How Many Grams Are In a Cup?
- How Much Is a TRILLION?
- Tablespoons and Cup Sizes Around The World
- How Much Is a BILLION?
- How Many Grams Of Sugar Are In a Teaspoon?
- How To Calculate Your BMR
- How To Convert a Decimal To a Fraction
- What Is Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)?
- How To Calculate Your BMI
- How To Measure For a New Floor
- How To Add, Subtract, Multiply And Divide Fractions
- How To Calculate Cubic Feet
- Should You Pay In Local Currency Or Home Currency When Abroad?
- Is a Kilobyte 1000 Or 1024 Bytes?
- The gambler's fallacy - explained
- How to save money as a student
- How long is a light-year?
- How fast is the speed of light?
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How To Convert mg To ml (Milligrams to Milliliters)
- How big is a hectare?
- Compound Interest Definition And Examples
- PEMDAS and the order of operations
- All about roman numerals
- Interesting and amazing maths facts
- BODMAS - Order Of Mathematical Operations Explained
- What Is Body Mass Index? How Is BMI Calculated?
- Fahrenheit To Celsius Formula, Charts and Conversion
- How Long Will It Take You To Save? (Includes Calculator)
- Counting the cost of debt - where has the money gone?
- Calculating international debt
- How Many Steps Are In a Mile?
- How to convert kilometers to miles (and back again)
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- How Big Is An Acre? Explained
- A brief history of loans
- What is a Roth IRA and how can you benefit from it?
- Compound Interest Formula - Explained
- What is a 401(k)? The ultimate guide for beginners
- 5 easy ways to start your retirement planning now
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- How to make your money go further
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- 4 unusual and humorous ways to make your money go further
- The History Of The Calculator
- What are the world's richest economies?
- The simple guide to boosting your credit score
- Simple mortgage refinancing tips you need to know
- The Best iPhone and iPad Apps That Make You Money
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the difference between nominal, effective and APR interest rates?
- What is the difference between speed and velocity?
- What Is The Difference Between Mass And Weight?
- Balloon payments: definition and benefits
- Why bigger really is better: 5 arguments in support of big banks
- 4 animals that can beat your car in a race
- 5 of the most common bank loans and how they work
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- 5 smartphone apps to help you cut your energy bills
- How To Work Out Cubic Conversions
- Money Making Apps For Your Android Smartphone
- Why Your Credit Payment Plan May Never Clear Your Debts
- Android Money Saving Apps That Will Turbocharge Your Budgeting Skills
- How To Get The Best Exchange Rate On Your Travel Money
- 5 Reasons Why You May Want To Avoid Mortgage Refinancing
- Mortgage Refinancing: 5 Reasons Why You Should Refinance
- The Pros (and Cons) of Internet-Only Banking
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- 3 Ways A Financial Crisis Can Benefit Savers
- The History Of Financial Meltdowns Since 1900
- How Cell Phones Are Shaping Your Banking Habits
- 4 Retirement Pitfalls Your Financial Consultant Forgot To Mention
- How Being Made Redundant Can Make You Some Money
- 4 Cars That Show The Dramatic Rise In The Cost Of Living
- 5 Tips to Help You Retire With $1 Million
- iPad Budgeting Apps To Help Manage Your Money
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- Is Peer-To-Peer Lending The Future For Your Savings?
- 5 Websites That Make It Easy To Beat Greedy Mortgage Lenders
- 6 Simple Ways To Save For The Home Of Your Dreams
- How Much Money Do You Need To Retire Comfortably?
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
- What are payday loans? What are the alternatives to payday loans?
- What Is Negative Equity?
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
- Tips On Buying a Used Car
- Should I Pay Off My Mortgage?
- How Much Should I Save For Retirement?
- How To Get Better Gas Mileage From Your Vehicle
- What is a Repayment Mortgage? What is Interest Only?
- How to Find the Rebuild Cost for Your Home
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.