This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
There are two popular ways of writing feet: the abbreviation “ft.” or the single apostrophe (′). Inches can be represented using “in.” or with a double apostrophe (″). As an example, five feet, ten inches could be written as 5 ft. 10 in or 5′10″...
For an individual of average height, 10,000 steps equate to around five miles of walking, or six miles of running. Such a person has an average stride length of between 2.1 to 2.5 feet, meaning they would take approximately 2,000 steps to walk a mile.To gain a more accurate measurement for the dista...
Whether you're shopping for carpet, or planning a landscaping or home improvement project, one essential concept is calculating square footage. Join us as we discuss the steps involved in the process.Square Footage Calc...
As I look back to my younger years, I remember finding it difficult to decide on an effective saving strategy and to know how much money I should be putting aside. There were items I wanted to save for and buy, and I had to weigh up the benefits of setting aside more money for them against short-ter...
When calculating the weight of a cubic yard of material in pounds or tons, you need to factor in the density of the material in order to get an accurate conversion. This is because the cubic yard is a unit of volume and you're trying to convert it to a unit of weight (pounds or tons)...
Compound Interest Formula With Examples
Compound interest, or 'interest on interest', is calculated with the compound interest formula. The formula for compound interest is A = P(1 + r/n)(nt), where P is the principal balance, r is the interest ra...
How to Read Roman Numerals
You have to hand it to those Romans; for an empire that crumbled away at least 1,500 years ago they've left us with a heck of a legacy. And one of 'the things that the Romans have done for us' is to leave us a numbering system that, though occasionally mystifying, is still proving remarkably useful...
What is the Difference Between Nominal, Effective and APR Interest Rates?
Whether you're paying interest on a debt or earning interest on savings and investments, the nominal interest rate is the figure used before considering inflation. Nominal interest rates are the ones advertised on financial products, but once they are adjusted for inflation, these can go up or down ...
How Long Does it Take to Walk a Mile?
Typically, adults walk at a speed of 3 to 4 miles per hour, and therefore walk a mile in around 15 to 20 minutes. Some people will be faster or slower than this, and walking speed can even be influenced by age and gender, as well as fitness level.Can you calculate walking speed?When you're planning...
How Much is a Ton?
A ton (t) is a unit of mass (i.e. weight) equivalent to 2000 pounds, or 910kg. It differs from the 'tonne', which weighs 1000kg. Both the short ton and long ton are equivalent to 20 hundredweight, but with the hundredweight defined differently under each system...
Other featured articles
- What is Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)?
- How Long Would it Take to Walk Around the World?
- How Much Does a Gallon of Water Weigh?
- How Many Cubic Feet is my Refrigerator?
- How to Calculate Net Income (With Examples)
- Density Formula - How To Calculate Density
- How Many Steps Are In a Mile?
- Weights and Measures - a Poem
- How to Calculate Percentages
- Why I've Chosen Ezoic as a Partner
- How Many Meters Are in a Mile?
- How Big Is A Hectare?
- PEMDAS Explained - How Does PEMDAS Work?
- How Big is an Acre? Explained
- US Gallons And Imperial Gallons - Why Are They Different?
- How Long Will It Take To Save? (Includes Calculator)
- How Many Cups in One Pound of Flour?
- How Many Cups in One Pound of Sugar?
- BMI Formula - How To Use The BMI Formula
- How Many Grams Of Sugar Are In a Teaspoon?
- How Many Cubic Feet Are In a Yard?
- Profit Margin Formula - Explained
- BODMAS Explained - Order Of Mathematical Operations
- How to Convert Kilometers to Miles and Miles to Kilometers
- How Many Beers Are In a Keg?
- How To Measure Your Waist
- How To Measure Your Hips
- Airline Baggage Weight - Why Does It Matter?
- How Many Feet Are In a Mile?
- BMR Formula (Basal Metabolic Rate)
- The Misrepresentation Of Sugar Intake In The Media
- LED Light Bulbs - Why Should You Switch?
- How To Calculate WHR (Waist-to-Hip Ratio)
- Balloon Payments: Definition and Benefits
- Meters And Metres - What's With The Spelling?
- How Many Feet Are In a Meter/Metre?
- Cooking Weights And Measures Guide
- Future Value Formula And Calculator
- How Many Days Since...?
- How Many Weeks Are In a Year?
- How Many Grams Are In a Cup?
- How Much Is a TRILLION?
- Tablespoons and Cup Sizes Around The World
- How Much is a BILLION?
- How To Calculate Your BMR
- How To Convert a Decimal To a Fraction
- What Is Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)?
- How To Measure For a New Floor
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
- How To Add, Subtract, Multiply And Divide Fractions
- How To Calculate Cubic Feet
- Should You Pay In Local Currency Or Home Currency When Abroad?
- Is a Kilobyte 1000 Or 1024 Bytes?
- The Gambler's Fallacy - Explained
- How to save money as a student
- How long is a light-year?
- How fast is the speed of light?
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How to Convert mg to ml (Milligrams to Milliliters)
- What Is Compound Interest? Definition And Examples
- Interesting and Amazing Math Facts
- What Is Body Mass Index? How Is BMI Calculated?
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- A brief history of loans
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- The History Of The Calculator
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the Difference Between Speed and Velocity?
- What Is The Difference Between Mass And Weight?
- 4 animals that can beat your car in a race
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.