This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
If you've ever been fooled by the old question, 'Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?' then you wouldn't be alone. Although the feathers and the lead both weigh exactly the same (um, a pound), their density is wildly different, and we can sometimes mentally conflate weight and ...
Research suggests that the number of walking steps in a mile for a person of average height and weight is between 2,000 and 2,500 steps. That figure decreases to between 1,400 and 1,700 steps per mile when running, due to the increase in stride length...
It is common knowledge that I love receiving communications from my visitors. This week, Robert Morrice sent me this wonderful poem and has kindly allowed me to share it with you. It's titled Weights and Measures. Enjoy...Yards are, as everyone knows,Length from fingertip to noseAnd twenty two make...
How many cents are in a dollar? Correct! 100. How many years are in a century? Yep, 100. How many legs are on a centipede? Usually about 70, actually. Sorry. I guess the Romans who came up with the name couldn't get one to sit still for long enough. Anyway, cent means one hundred, and percent (%) me...
People often ask me how I manage to fund my website, so I thought I'd write a little article about this today. To be able to dedicate a large amount of time to a project like this, and cover the costs associated with it, you need to be able to find a way to fund it...
How Many Meters Are in a Mile?
Miles and meters, meters and miles. If you happen to procure a time machine and meet a monocled Brit from 1825, they might give you directions to the nearest Olde Pie Shoppe in miles. And much obliged you would be for that, too. In fact, even if you talk to any Brit or American today - here in the 2...
How Big Is A Hectare?
In a previous article we featured the acre unit and discussed how big an acre is. Today we turn our attention to the hectare.What is a hectare?If you think 'hectare' is a pretty cool name for a Trojan prince, then you might want to read on for some educational enlightenment! (The legendary prince is...
PEMDAS Explained - How Does PEMDAS Work?
PEMDAS is a mnemonic acronym for the order of operations in math: parentheses; exponents; multiply or divide; add or subtract. When there are several operations in a single expression, it's important to calculate them in the proper order (parenthesis first, exponents second.....
How Big Is An Acre? Explained
In this article we're going to look at the acre - a unit of area commonly used for measuring tracts of land. Did you know that during the Middle Ages, an acre was defined as the amount of land ploughable in one day by one man and an ox? Not very specific, then - especially if your ox is feeling part...
US Gallons And Imperial Gallons - Why Are They Different?
We all possess points of cultural pride: the UK has castles, afternoon tea and the Jeremy Kyle Show (until recently); the USA has the Grand Canyon, the Empire State Building and milk-chugging. So while Brits struggle to keep their food down as they watch toothless families brawling over secret affai...
Other featured articles
- How Long Will It Take To Save? (Includes Calculator)
- How Many Cups in One Pound of Flour?
- How Many Cups in One Pound of Sugar?
- BMI Formula - How To Use The BMI Formula
- How Many Grams Of Sugar Are In a Teaspoon?
- Compound Interest Formula With Examples
- How Many Cubic Feet Are In a Yard?
- Profit Margin Formula - Explained
- BODMAS Explained - Order Of Mathematical Operations
- How to Convert Kilometers to Miles and Miles to Kilometers
- How Many Beers Are In a Keg?
- How To Measure Your Waist
- How To Measure Your Hips
- Airline Baggage Weight - Why Does It Matter?
- How Many Feet Are In a Mile?
- BMR Formula (Basal Metabolic Rate)
- How Many Tablespoons Are In a Cup?
- The Misrepresentation Of Sugar Intake In The Media
- LED Light Bulbs - Why Should You Switch?
- How To Calculate WHR (Waist-to-Hip Ratio)
- Meters And Metres - What's With The Spelling?
- How Many Feet Are In a Meter/Metre?
- Cooking Weights And Measures Guide
- Future Value Formula And Calculator
- How Many Days Since...?
- How Many Weeks Are In a Year?
- How Many Grams Are In a Cup?
- How Much Is a TRILLION?
- Tablespoons and Cup Sizes Around The World
- How Much Is a BILLION?
- How To Calculate Your BMR
- How To Convert a Decimal To a Fraction
- What Is Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)?
- How To Measure For a New Floor
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
- How To Add, Subtract, Multiply And Divide Fractions
- How To Calculate Cubic Feet
- Should You Pay In Local Currency Or Home Currency When Abroad?
- Is a Kilobyte 1000 Or 1024 Bytes?
- The Gambler's Fallacy - Explained
- How long is a light-year?
- How fast is the speed of light?
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How to Convert mg to ml (Milligrams to Milliliters)
- What Is Compound Interest? Definition And Examples
- All about roman numerals
- Interesting and amazing maths facts
- What Is Body Mass Index? How Is BMI Calculated?
- Fahrenheit To Celsius Formula, Charts and Conversion
- Counting the cost of debt - where has the money gone?
- Calculating international debt
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- A brief history of loans
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- The History Of The Calculator
- The Best iPhone and iPad Apps That Make You Money
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the difference between nominal, effective and APR interest rates?
- What is the difference between speed and velocity?
- What Is The Difference Between Mass And Weight?
- Balloon Payments: Definition and Benefits
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- How To Work Out Cubic Conversions
- Money Making Apps For Your Android Smartphone
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.