This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
Are you wondering how to measure a cubic yard or how many cubic feet there are in a yard? Wonder no longer, here's what you need to know...A foot is 12 inches long, making it exactly a third of a yard. So, if you draw a line on the ground with chalk and it's 1 yard in length, then it's 3 feet long...
The profit margin formula is a way of calculating what percentage of sales revenue remains as true profit, after all costs and expenses are accounted for. Profit margin is also sometimes known as gross profit ratio or return on sales ratio. Obviously, the higher the percentage, the healthier the com...
Body mass index is a measure of body fat and is commonly used within the health industry to determine whether your weight is healthy. BMI applies to both adult men and women and is the calculation of body weight in relation to height. This article delves into the BMI formula and shows you how to cal...
When you're given a sum has two numbers and one operator, calculating an answer seems straight forward (25 × 3 = 75). But, what happens if someone throws in a couple more numbers and operators: (5 + 25 × 3 − 2 = .....)? Which part do you do first? Thankfully, there is a set of...
Today we're going to look at the acre - a unit of area commonly used for measuring tracts of land.Let me begin with a question. Did you know that during the Middle Ages, an acre was defined as the amount of land ploughable in one day by one man and an ox? Not very specific, then - especially if your...
How Many Beers Are In a Keg?
The chances are you've arrived at this page trying to do some research for an upcoming party, wedding or other event that's going to involve a lot of people. In which case, you're likely to be wondering how many kegs you need to order to satisfy your crowd of beer-thirsty compadres...
How To Measure Your Waist
Whether you're ordering clothes online, monitoring your weight, or designing a bespoke bucket chair for your space-shuttle to the moon (look, the world is on fire; it's OK to have a plan B), you need to be able to measure your body accurately. Here's how to get the digits for your waist...
How To Measure Your Hips
In a previous article we covered how to measure your waist and discussed how useful it is to know your waist size. Similarly, hip measurements can be really useful for fitting clothes, monitoring weight changes and assessing WHR (waist-to-hip ratio). So, let's take a look at the process for meas...
Why Does Airline Baggage Weight Matter?
This one started with one of those email forwards derived from someone's flippant Facebook or Twitter posting. It featured a photo like the one above and a caption that (stripping out the swear words) read:"This p...
How Many Feet Are In a Mile?
In our latest article we're going to address the question of how many feet there are in a mile. Albert Einstein was once asked how many feet there are in a mile. His reply was "I don't know, why should I fill my brain with facts I can find in two minutes in any standard reference book?" These days, ...
Other featured articles
- BMR Formula (Basal Metabolic Rate)
- US Gallons And Imperial Gallons - Why Are They Different?
- How Many Tablespoons Are In a Cup?
- The Misrepresentation Of Teaspoons Of Sugar In The Media
- LED Light Bulbs - Why Should You Switch?
- How To Calculate WHR (Waist-to-Hip Ratio)
- Meters And Metres - What's With The Spelling?
- How Many Feet Are In a Meter/Metre?
- Cooking Weights And Measures Guide
- Future Value Formula And Calculator
- How Many Days Since...?
- How Many Weeks Are In a Year?
- How Many Grams Are In a Cup?
- How Much Is a TRILLION?
- Tablespoons and Cup Sizes Around The World
- How Much Is a BILLION?
- How Many Grams Of Sugar Are In a Teaspoon?
- How To Calculate Your BMR
- How To Convert a Decimal To a Fraction
- What Is Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)?
- How To Measure For a New Floor
- How To Add, Subtract, Multiply And Divide Fractions
- How To Calculate Cubic Feet
- Should You Pay In Local Currency Or Home Currency When Abroad?
- Is a Kilobyte 1000 Or 1024 Bytes?
- The gambler's fallacy - explained
- How long is a light-year?
- How fast is the speed of light?
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How To Convert mg To ml (Milligrams to Milliliters)
- How big is a hectare?
- What Is Compound Interest? Definition And Examples
- PEMDAS and the Order of Operations
- All about roman numerals
- Interesting and amazing maths facts
- What Is Body Mass Index? How Is BMI Calculated?
- Fahrenheit To Celsius Formula, Charts and Conversion
- How Long Will It Take You To Save? (Includes Calculator)
- Counting the cost of debt - where has the money gone?
- Calculating international debt
- How Many Steps Are In a Mile?
- How to convert kilometers to miles (and back again)
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- A brief history of loans
- Compound Interest Formula - Explained
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- The History Of The Calculator
- The Best iPhone and iPad Apps That Make You Money
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the difference between nominal, effective and APR interest rates?
- What is the difference between speed and velocity?
- What Is The Difference Between Mass And Weight?
- Balloon Payments: Definition and Benefits
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- How To Work Out Cubic Conversions
- Money Making Apps For Your Android Smartphone
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.
From abacus to iPad, learn how the calculator came about and developed through the ages. Read our featured article.