This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
The 21st century: what a time to be alive! Home cinemas, cheap air travel and drive-thru burger joints have blessed the lives of many, while simultaneously giving the planet a bit of a kicking. So, what to do? What if you want to enjoy the pleasures of modern life without having to lie awake at nigh...
The human body is one of the most diverse shapes in the animal kingdom. You might veer towards lean and lithe, meaty and muscular, or soft and squishy, but it can be difficult to categorise our fleshy physical vessels in a truly meaningful way. We have tried, of course, with some decent results, suc...
"Your music sucks," you screamed at your parents as you scoffed at their Beatles records and played Duran Duran at full volume.The younger generation always wants to improve on the past, making their own mark on the world."Your spelling is SO STUPID!" America hollered down the stairs at its lame old...
Today we're going to look at the conversion of meters to feet. Both of these are units of length. The meter is the base unit in the International System of Units and is equal to the distance travelled by light through a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 seconds...
Whenever working with a recipe, there's always an uneasy tension between precision and usability. The measures that are reasonably accessible (spoons, cups, etc.) are easy to use but give rise to uneasy doubts as to whether one is really using the right amount of the ingredient...
Future Value Formula And Calculator
As part of the development of my compound interest calculator, I incorporated the ability to include additional monthly deposits and deductions in calculations. In my earlier article discussing the compound interest formula, I featured a formula for the future value of a series...
How Many Days Since...?
To coincide with the launch of my new days between dates calculator, I thought we would take a look at the number of days since some of the most important events in our history took place. The 'days between dates calculator' allows you to work out the number of days, weeks and months since (or to) a...
How Many Weeks Are In a Year?
Any impatient soul counting down to their next birthday, annual holiday or festival is going to need 52 weeks' worth of patience, because that's the length of a complete year. A normal year has 365 days, which, when divided by 7 (Monday,...
How Many Grams Are In a Cup?
Are you a 'cup half-full' or a 'cup half-empty' kind of person? Hopefully, you're the former, because it's going to take some patience, hope and determination to get to grips with the ludicrous concept that is the concept of cooking with measuring cups...
How Much Is a TRILLION?
In a previous article we discussed how much a billion is. It has proven to be a very popular topic. And so we thought - why not feature an article about the next big number up? Here is the result as, in today's article, Becky Kleanthous discusses the trillion...
Other featured articles
- How Many Tablespoons Are In a Cup?
- How Much Is a BILLION?
- How Many Grams Of Sugar Are In a Teaspoon?
- How To Calculate Your BMR
- How To Convert a Decimal To a Fraction
- What Is Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)?
- How To Calculate Your BMI
- How To Measure For a New Floor
- How To Add, Subtract, Multiply And Divide Fractions
- How To Calculate Cubic Feet
- Should You Pay In Local Currency Or Home Currency When Abroad?
- Is a Kilobyte 1000 Or 1024 Bytes?
- The gambler's fallacy - explained
- How to save money as a student
- How long is a light-year?
- How fast is the speed of light?
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How To Convert mg To ml (Milligrams to Milliliters)
- How big is a hectare?
- The meaning of compound interest
- PEMDAS and the order of operations
- All about roman numerals
- Interesting and amazing maths facts
- The mathematics of airline baggage
- BODMAS - order of operations explained
- What Is Body Mass Index? How Is BMI Calculated?
- Fahrenheit To Celsius Formula, Charts and Conversion
- How Long Will It Take You To Save? (Includes Calculator)
- Counting the cost of debt - where has the money gone?
- Calculating international debt
- How Many Steps Are In a Mile?
- How to convert kilometers to miles (and back again)
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- How Big Is An Acre? Explained
- A brief history of loans
- What is a Roth IRA and how can you benefit from it?
- Compound Interest Formula - Explained
- What is a 401(k)? The ultimate guide for beginners
- 5 easy ways to start your retirement planning now
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- How to make your money go further
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- 4 unusual and humorous ways to make your money go further
- The history of the calculator
- What are the world's richest economies?
- The simple guide to boosting your credit score
- Simple mortgage refinancing tips you need to know
- The Best iPhone and iPad Apps That Make You Money
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the difference between nominal, effective and APR interest rates?
- What is the difference between speed and velocity?
- What Is The Difference Between Mass And Weight?
- Balloon payments: definition and benefits
- Why bigger really is better: 5 arguments in support of big banks
- 4 animals that can beat your car in a race
- 5 of the most common bank loans and how they work
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- 5 smartphone apps to help you cut your energy bills
- How To Work Out Cubic Conversions
- Money Making Apps For Your Android Smartphone
- Why Your Credit Payment Plan May Never Clear Your Debts
- Android Money Saving Apps That Will Turbocharge Your Budgeting Skills
- How To Get The Best Exchange Rate On Your Travel Money
- 5 Reasons Why You May Want To Avoid Mortgage Refinancing
- Mortgage Refinancing: 5 Reasons Why You Should Refinance
- The Pros (and Cons) of Internet-Only Banking
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- 3 Ways A Financial Crisis Can Benefit Savers
- The History Of Financial Meltdowns Since 1900
- How Cell Phones Are Shaping Your Banking Habits
- 4 Retirement Pitfalls Your Financial Consultant Forgot To Mention
- How Being Made Redundant Can Make You Some Money
- 4 Cars That Show The Dramatic Rise In The Cost Of Living
- 5 Tips to Help You Retire With $1 Million
- iPad Budgeting Apps To Help Manage Your Money
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- Is Peer-To-Peer Lending The Future For Your Savings?
- 5 Websites That Make It Easy To Beat Greedy Mortgage Lenders
- 6 Simple Ways To Save For The Home Of Your Dreams
- How Much Money Do You Need To Retire Comfortably?
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
- What are payday loans? What are the alternatives to payday loans?
- What Is Negative Equity?
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
- Tips On Buying a Used Car
- Should I Pay Off My Mortgage?
- How Much Should I Save For Retirement?
- How To Get Better Gas Mileage From Your Vehicle
- What is a Repayment Mortgage? What is Interest Only?
- How to Find the Rebuild Cost for Your Home
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.
From abacus to iPad, learn how the calculator came about and developed through the ages. Read our featured article.