Cubic Feet Calculator
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made in building this calculator, we are not to be held liable for any damages or monetary losses arising out of or in connection with the use of it. This tool is here purely as a service to you, please use it at your own risk. Full disclaimer. Do not use calculations for anything where loss of life, money, property, etc could result from inaccurate calculations.
How to calculate cubic feet
Cubic feet is a unit of volume. To calculate the volume or capacity of an item or space in cubic feet you will first need to measure its length, width and height in either feet, inches (or a combo of both), centimeters, meters or yards. Once you have those measurements, you apply some multiplication as follows...
Calculating cubic feet for different units (formulae)
- From feet: length (ft) × width (ft) × height (ft) = cubic feet
- From inches: length (in) × width (in) × height (in) ÷ 1728 = cubic feet
- From yards: length (yd) × width (yd) × height (yd) × 27 = cubic feet
- From cm: length (cm) × width (cm) × height (cm) ÷ 28316.85 = cubic feet
- From meters: length (m) × width (m) × height (m) × 35.314667 = cubic feet
Let's look at each of these in turn.
Calculating cubic feet from measurements in feet
If you have measured the width, length and height of your item in feet then the calculation process is straight forward: Simply multiply the 3 figures together.
As an example, let's say you're looking for the capacity of a box that measures 5ft by 3ft by 2ft. Multiplying those 3 figures together gives you a total cubic feet value of 30ft3.
Should you have already calculated your square footage, you simply need to multiply this figure by the height measurement.
If you're looking to measure a refrigerator, take a look at our article, how many cubic feet is my refrigerator?
Calculating cubic feet from inches
If you have measured the dimensions of your item in inches then do the following:
- Multiply your length, width and height figures together, giving you a total in cubic inches (in3)
- Divide the total by 1728 (as there are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot).
As an example, let's say you're looking for the capacity of a box that measures 55" x 30" x 15". Multiplying those 3 figures together gives you a total cubic inches value of 24750in3. To convert that figure to cubic feet we divide it by 1728, giving a total of 14.323ft3.
Calculating cubic feet from centimeters
If you have measured the dimensions of your item in centimeters (cm) then do the following:
- Multiply your length, width and height figures together, giving you a total in cubic centimeters (cm3)
- Divide the total by 28,316.85 (as there are approximately 28,316.85 cubic cm in a cubic foot).
Calculating cubic feet from yards
If you have measured the dimensions of your item in yards then do the following:
- Multiply your length, width and height figures together, giving you a total in cubic yards (yd3)
- Multiply the total by 27 (as there are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard).
Once you have your resulting figure, check it against the calculator at the top of this page. As an alternative, if you've taken your measurements and want to convert them to cubic yards, give the cubic yards calculator a try.
You can learn more about how to calculate cubic feet in this article.
How to convert from cubic inches to cubic feet
One cubic foot equals 1728 cubic inches. So, to convert from cubic inches to cubic feet you should divide your cubic inches figure by 1728. Should you not wish to do this manually, give my volume converter a try.