How Much Does a Cubic Yard Weigh?
When calculating the weight of a cubic yard of material in pounds or tons, you need to factor in the density of the material in order to get an accurate conversion. This is because the cubic yard is a unit of volume and you're trying to convert it to a unit of weight (pounds or tons). To give an example, a cubic yard of concrete weighs more than a cubic yard of mulch because it is more dense.
To assist you with your calculation, we've put together a list of materials and their rough densities. Do remember that densities will vary based upon a number of factors, from composition to moisture content. A cubic yard of dry sand will weigh less than a cubic yard of wet sand, for example. It's important to give due consideration to this when comparing the weight estimates we've listed below for dirt, gravel, topsoil, sand, concrete, mulch, etc.
To get the most accurate conversion, you're advised to obtain a density figure from the material manufacturer. The figures below should be used only as a guide estimate. You'll also find a conversion tool further down this page.
|Material||Pounds (lb)||US tons||Metric tonnes|
|Gravel (loose, dry)
|Gravel (dry, 1/4 to 2 in)
|Gravel (wet 1/4 to 2 in)
|Gravel (with sand)
|Limestone (low density)
|Limestone (high density)
|Based upon density estimates|
From this table, we can highlight some key weights of cubic yards of materials.
- 1 cubic yard of dirt weighs about 1944 pounds or 0.97 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of gravel (dry) weighs about 2835 pounds or 1.42 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of gravel (wet) weighs about 3375 pounds or 1.69 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of topsoil weighs about 2295 pounds or 1.15 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of concrete weighs about 3915 pounds or 1.96 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of sand (dry) weighs about 2700 pounds or 1.35 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of sand (wet) weighs about 3240 pounds or 1.62 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of mulch (bark) weighs about 506 pounds or 0.25 US tons
- 1 cubic yard of mulch (woodchip) weighs about 674 pounds or 0.34 US tons
To calculate the weight of a number of cubic tons of materials, we've included a handy calculator for you below.
Convert cubic yards to pounds or tons
Convert cubic yards of materials to pounds or tons. This forms part of the cubic yards to tons converter.
Rate this article
Please rate this article below. If you have any feedback on it, please contact me.