This section of The Calculator Site contains interesting articles about finance, currency as well as instructional 'how to' features on converting between units.
Body mass index is a measure of body fat and is commonly used within the health industry to determine whether your weight is healthy. BMI applies to both adult men and women and is the calculation of body weight in relation to height. This article delves into the BMI formula and shows you how to cal...
When it's time to get new flooring fitted, excitement can sometimes be mixed with dread. Daunting prospects include moving all the furniture out (and thereby discovering exactly what’s been lurking behind the couch for 10 years), but before even that, there is the measuring up to do...
While some people might be breathing deeply into a paper bag at the thought of calculating with fractions, if you understand each step and why it's necessary, it can become a piece of cake. Or 1/6 of a cake, if you like. Something to remember: Whether you're adding, subtracting, multiplying or divid...
It's not an everyday problem, but there will be times when you need to calculate the capacity of something. Instead of staring blankly into the trunk of your car, getting a tension headache trying to find the biggest bathtub, or weeping when confronted by the decision over buying a new fridge-freeze...
Travelling abroad can be many things (relaxing / hilarious / romantic / messy / traumatic / The Absolute Worst - delete based on stage of life and number of family members accompanying), but rarely can it ever be described as cheap. Last time you went on vay-cay, you spent a week eating and drinking...
Is a kilobyte 1,000 or 1,024 bytes?
To coincide with the launch of my data storage converters and data transfer rate converters I thought we'd take a look at the subject of kilobyte size in today's article. Here's Ron Bright to explain...Most of us are familiar with the meaning of the prefix "kilo" in reference to mea...
The gambler's fallacy - explained
As we saw in our article on the basics of calculating chance and the laws of probability, there is a naive and logically incorrect notion that a sequence of past outcomes shapes the probability of future outcomes.Essentially, The Gambler's Fallacy is the misconception tha...
How to save money as a student
University can be one of the most exciting times of your life, but also one of the most expensive. Get it wrong and you could be graduating with an enormous debt to go with your degree. According to a 2016 report by the Sutt...
How long is a light-year?
Exactly how long is a light-year? No, this isn't a trick question, but many people might think so. Unlike what the phrase may suggest at first glance, light-year isn't a measure of time - it's a measure of distance. The proper definition of a light-year would be "the distance light travels in a year...
How fast is the speed of light?
The speed of light is something that every student will have heard about, perhaps in school or maybe in popular culture (Star Wars anyone?) but many will not fully understand. It seems incredibly complicated and incomprehensible but, quite simply, it is the speed at which light travels...
Other featured articles
- The weird and wonderful world of units of measurement
- How to measure things without a ruler
- How to convert mg to ml (milligrams to milliliters)
- How big is a hectare?
- The meaning of compound interest
- PEMDAS and the order of operations
- All about roman numerals
- Interesting and amazing maths facts
- How big is a billion?
- The mathematics of airline baggage
- BODMAS - order of operations explained
- What is body mass index? How is BMI calculated?
- Fahrenheit To Celsius - How To Convert
- How long will it take me to save?
- Counting the cost of debt - where has the money gone?
- Calculating international debt
- How many steps are in a mile?
- How to convert kilometers to miles (and back again)
- A guide to kitchen weights and measures
- A brief history of the metric measurement system
- How big is an acre? Explained
- A brief history of loans
- What is a Roth IRA and how can you benefit from it?
- Compound Interest Formula - Explained
- What is a 401(k)? The ultimate guide for beginners
- 5 easy ways to start your retirement planning now
- Armed forces by numbers
- 6 clever time keeping instruments invented by man
- How to make your money go further
- Calculating chance - the rules of probability
- 4 unusual and humorous ways to make your money go further
- The history of the calculator
- What are the world's richest economies?
- The simple guide to boosting your credit score
- Simple mortgage refinancing tips you need to know
- The Best iPhone and iPad Apps That Make You Money
- How to convert International units (IU) to mcg or mg
- What is the difference between nominal, effective and APR interest rates?
- What is the difference between speed and velocity?
- What is the difference between mass and weight?
- Balloon payments: definition and benefits
- Why bigger really is better: 5 arguments in support of big banks
- 4 animals that can beat your car in a race
- 5 of the most common bank loans and how they work
- How to convert metric to imperial - and back again
- 5 smartphone apps to help you cut your energy bills
- How To Work Out Cubic Conversions
- Money Making Apps For Your Android Smartphone
- Why Your Credit Payment Plan May Never Clear Your Debts
- Android Money Saving Apps That Will Turbocharge Your Budgeting Skills
- How To Get The Best Exchange Rate On Your Travel Money
- 5 Reasons Why You May Want To Avoid Mortgage Refinancing
- Mortgage Refinancing: 5 Reasons Why You Should Refinance
- The Pros (and Cons) of Internet-Only Banking
- What is APR? How does APR differ from standard interest rates?
- 3 Ways A Financial Crisis Can Benefit Savers
- The History Of Financial Meltdowns Since 1900
- How Cell Phones Are Shaping Your Banking Habits
- 4 Retirement Pitfalls Your Financial Consultant Forgot To Mention
- How Being Made Redundant Can Make You Some Money
- 4 Cars That Show The Dramatic Rise In The Cost Of Living
- 5 Tips to Help You Retire With $1 Million
- iPad Budgeting Apps To Help Manage Your Money
- How Usain Bolt Compares To The Fastest Animals On Earth
- Is Peer-To-Peer Lending The Future For Your Savings?
- 5 Websites That Make It Easy To Beat Greedy Mortgage Lenders
- 6 Simple Ways To Save For The Home Of Your Dreams
- How Much Money Do You Need To Retire Comfortably?
- 5 Alternatives To Body Mass Index (BMI)
- What are payday loans? What are the alternatives to payday loans?
- What Is Negative Equity?
- How To Convert Volume To Weight
- Tips On Buying a Used Car
- Should I Pay Off My Mortgage?
- How Much Should I Save For Retirement?
- How To Get Better Gas Mileage From Your Vehicle
- What is a Repayment Mortgage? What is Interest Only?
- How to Find the Rebuild Cost for Your Home
If you have any finance articles or interesting articles on units that you would like to submit for consideration for future publishing, please submit them via the form on this page.
From abacus to iPad, learn how the calculator came about and developed through the ages. Read our featured article.